APRIL 20th 2013: WORLD RECORD STORE DAY!
Growing up I always had music in my life, my mum and dad worked in record stores before they had me and my brother and then my dad went on to owning his own record stores. I took these pictures of his only surviving store recently, (in the wild windy snow!) had some fun with some old cameras and printing processes. If you are ever in Edinburgh, his shop is on the mound! Or you can take a gander online www.codamusic.co.uk They are making the whole back room of the shop a vinyl room! Should be braw! I will be checking out their record store day event and looking at all the limited edition vinyl they are getting in for it!
I have a lot of childhood memories associated with certain songs. I got to listen to lots of amazing music throughout growing up, and still today. After loving records, oldies from my mum's car tapes, and of 90's indie, dance, ska and hip hop, I left high school a punk rock lover and got lost in a romance with old rock and roll, the blues and rockabilly. I've worked for my dad at his now one and only shop, and the folk music shop during Glasgow's Celtic Connections Festival and loved all the music I was hearing. My taste is eclectic and I love it. I love music and I love independent record stores.
I have a lot of childhood memories associated with certain songs. I got to listen to lots of amazing music throughout growing up, and still today. After loving records, oldies from my mum's car tapes, and of 90's indie, dance, ska and hip hop, I left high school a punk rock lover and got lost in a romance with old rock and roll, the blues and rockabilly. I've worked for my dad at his now one and only shop, and the folk music shop during Glasgow's Celtic Connections Festival and loved all the music I was hearing. My taste is eclectic and I love it. I love music and I love independent record stores.
My dad told me that in the late 80's there were about 2500 record stores in the UK, compared to the 2009 count of less than 300, and in the last few years more and more have shut. A slow death from ailments of Supermarkets and Superstore undercuts and an unbelievable demise from tax dodging internet Amazons and mp3's... Record stores are dying, end of an era. The way people buy their music is completely different these days as to when I was wee. Times change, I know. I just hate to see corporations trample all over sweet independents... In any area... This is in all parts of the world, he was telling me the biggest ever hip hop store in New York closed at the end of last year, not even they could be saved. Not even giants like Virgin and HMV, but im not talking about them... Support your wee local independent record store!
It is record store day on April 20th. There will be events all over the world so check it out if you love music! www.recordstoreday.com It looks like Jack White is being this years ambassador for it! His record collection must be unreal! ➸♥➸
Until next time, have a good one!
➸♥➸







14 comments:
Beautiful photos, and what a great event. I'm all for helping our independent stores. I was a regular visitor to Probe records in Liverpool. The atmosphere was great in there x
I love these photos, I think it's so important to help the local stores, our local record store was THE place to go when I was in high school.
Charlotte Adele
Beautiful photos!
xx
Thanks for the tip-off. I'll have to check out what's going on locally for the day. Completely agree with all your sentiments here. And beautiful, exquisite photos as always - love the effects and lighting you've caught xx
Weirdly enough record stores seem to still be going strong in the US (which is great since I moved here and we have about 5 record stores within 3 miles of us) but I remember how sad it was when my favourite record store closed in York so many years ago. I've been blogging about record store day all month on my blog so i'm really excited that it's so close now!
Such beautiful photos, so brilliant you have been brought up around music and being part of something that is so unique now. Happy Record day for tomorrow beautiful gal xxx
What a heartwarmingly lovely post and reflection on the roll that music played throughout your childhood and in your parents' lives.
My folks (who came of age in the 60s and 70s) had a fairly substantial record collection when I was growing up, and I'm grateful that they played just about all of them over the years, because it introduced me to such a wide and wonderful range of artists, spanning the spectrum from The Supremes to Billy Joel, Elvis to The Clash. To this day, my taste in music remains wildly eclectic and I credit (and thank) my parents in absolutely no small part for this.
♥ Jessica
beautiful photos and a beautiful post! i went out on record store day and bought a record from a local independent shop and it felt great! it's such a shame how few there are these days and how drastically things have changed. :( good luck to your dad with his store though, glad to hear he has one still going strong! x
little henry lee
Thanks everyone! Glad you got involved! Long live the independents! :) xxx
That is so cool that your Dad owns a record store! We will definitely be paying him a visit when we eventually get to visit your lovely Edinburgh.
Record store day was quiet for us this year, not like all the times we spent it in London fighting the crowds and the ques, you can never get anywhere near Rough Trade, it all goes a little crazy. The love is most definitely still there, it just needs to be spread a little further. There's an amazing independant store in the little town I work in now and I found one of Craig's records in there! We were so chuffed and it just shows the magic of the independant stores, you never know what you might find in them. It is so very sad that they are closing, especially because the love of Vinyl is flourishing again, but the internet is killing it. I don't blame people though, you just buy where you can get it cheapest.
I have to say that the Instagram pic of you with the drum sticks has to be one of my all time favourites, so cool. I hope you have had a lovely bank holiday you beautiful thing. Lots of love to you. xxx
I always get teary when I think of how most record stores have gone under these days all due to mp3 and Walmarts and that sort of thing. My Saturday afternoons in high school were always spent perusing the record store, looking for new music...or old music. Friday nights were spent at the video store looking for videos to rent and watch with friends...which is also a bummer that those have nearly disappeared these days too!
Not to be a downer though - that is so lovely that your mom and dad worked in record stores and that your dad owns a shop too! Definitely gotta keep the love for these little places alive and moving. I couldn't agree more! xoxo Marisa
Aww thanks kitten, you are the sweetest! I'm glad you have a nice shop near you with treats like Craig's record! Bet that made you smile like crazy! That's so cool! :) May is half way through already! EEK! Hope you are enjoying it! :) xxx
Aww yes! It is the same with video stores! My friend and I were talking about that just the other day, how our wee local independent video store had all kinds and every movie ever and you always found something cool to watch! Hope you are keeping well Mama! :) xxx
Your parents own a record store?! Gosh, I don't think I could possibly be more envious! Best occupation ever!!
xo
Jo
Lost in the Haze
Post a Comment
Thank you for your wee comment! It is nice to hear from strangers and friends! (and strangers who could be friends!) I will do my darn hardest to respond too!