Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Cherry, Chocolate and Rum cakes...

Some recent pictures from our wee world... 



I made these cakes a wee while ago and they got devoured by all instantaneously!  So I had to make them again, and again, and again!  By far the best cakes I have ever made!  I kind of just made up the recipe from many years of vegan cake baking experience!  Luckily I wrote down roughly what I did so I hope these are just as good! MMM... yeah they are.  I put a lot of chocolate in them so they don't really need a frosting, they always get eaten before you can do that anyway!  The smell when they come out of the oven made my tummy rumble. 

Here is the recipe! (vegan of course!)

Cherry, Chocolate and Rum cakes...

Ingredients:
2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (I used chocolate buttons last time!)
1/4 cup cherry soy yogurt (I used Alpro cherry yogurt, one wee pot)
1/2 cup black cherry jam / preserves
1/2 cup coconut milk (or soy milk) (or chocolate coconut milk -oh my! :D)
3/4 cup brown sugar (or granulated sugar if you must!)
1/2 cup rapeseed oil (canola oil)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of rum (I used dark navy rum)
1 cup and two tablespoons of all purpose flour
1/3 cup cacoa powder
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F and line your muffin pan with your cupcake/muffin liners.

Mix the yogurt, jam, milk, sugar, oil, vanilla and rum into a large bowl and mix until no large lumps. 

Sift in the flour, cacoa, baking powder and baking soda and again, mix until there are no large lumps.  Add the chocolate and give it another good mix!

Fill the liners until they are between 3/4 full and full and then pop them in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. 

They will be done and ready to transfer to a cooling rack when you can pierce each cake with a spike and it comes out clean (not covered in sticky uncooked cake ingredients!) :)

They are soft and spongey, I think the yogurt and jam makes them really moist and lovely! :)
x 

61 comments:

Heather Jean said...

yum! They look wonderful, great job!
-Heather Jean

Rainbow Gatherer said...

they look yummy :P looking forward to the recipe, I hope it's easy so that I can bake at home too :)

Rachel said...

These sound so yummy. How I would love to get a box of them in the post! xx

ShyScout said...

Your hair looks so pretty! Sorry it didn't turn out black though. I really want to try dying my hair with henna. These photos are so cute and the cupcakes look delish :]

Dakota said...

Your hair looks delightful, as do those cupcakes!! Lovely photos, as per usual; I adore all that gingham!

Beverly Houpt said...

Those cakes look great! And so do you!

Anonymous said...

your chocolate red hair looks perfect! I wish I could go red like that! I love the cherries in your coif as well :) Those cupcakes look and sound delightful. Must try!

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights

Mari Garcia said...

Chocolate, Love it and your hair, lust it >.< Happy Valentines day <333

Mary from ♥ meowwzie.blogspot.com ♥

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

Oh, how adorable are these photos? I am loving your hair!

Kirsten said...

Ooooooh I wish you could post cakes! Yumyumyum. Your hair looks so so preeeeeetty! I love the little cherries in it! Cuuute :) I hope you have been excellently well :)

Harlow Darling said...

Oh my goodness you look adorable! I love your gingham top and cherry hair clip :D
I think I will have to give these cupcakes a go - cherry, chocolate and rum - what a mouth watering combination!

vintage_kitten said...

Those cakes look so yummy.Love your hair color.Just started following your blog.You have beautiful photos.

Zoë Winters said...

Thank you! :)

Zoë Winters said...

They are super easy! :)

Zoë Winters said...

Thanks! Henna adventures are crazy! You get covered in what looks like millions of wee bunny poos! :) x

Zoë Winters said...

Thanks Dakota! I have lots of gingham fabrics and lots of plans! :) x

Zoë Winters said...

I'd post you cakes if I could! For sure! :)

Zoë Winters said...

Thank you! :)

Zoë Winters said...

That'll be the future, cake deliveries that don't arrive like mish mush! :) x

Zoë Winters said...

Thanks Laura! It's mad this henna stuff just won't make my hair black, I've done it 3 times and my hair is still showing red! :) You must try these cakes if you have time! x

Zoë Winters said...

Thanks Mary! ^..^ x

Angela Marie said...

Thank you for my comment, my little cat is quite the character haha!
I love your blog, I'll definitely be following you, it's so lovely!
And those cupcakes look delicious! & your hair looks fabulous :)

http://missangelamarie.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh you look gorgeous, like the perfect pin up, that apron is fab, did you make it? The cakes look yummy, so you want to go the darkside eh? xx

Valerie Enríquez said...

Oh my goodness, these photos are adorable. And thank you for a delicious vegan baking recipe! I've been a pescetarian for 9 years and recently became lactose intolerant, so I'm pretty much there! Baking is a lot tougher now that I've switched, will have to try this out! x

Dial V for Vintage said...

You look gorgeous and cherry-licious! :D I am craving cakes right now... they look SO yummy! Your hair looks lovely as usual, you always give me inspiration to cut bangs in my hair... but I'm not sure if I ever will have the guts to actually do it! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks so yummy! I have completely fallen in love with your blog <3

Unknown said...

I love seeing your wee world. Thank you so much for the recipe, one of my best friends has just become Vegan so she will love this. I'm going to pass it on to her.
Your blog is one the best and one of you absolute favourites. I'm so happy that you have lot's of followers you deserve it.
Hope you have a lovely weekend xxxx

lola said...

I want to eat all of them haha, xx

Zoë Winters said...

Thanks! :) Looks like quite the character, I love your profile picture! ^..^

Zoë Winters said...

Thank you Hannah! I did indeed hand stitch it whilst watching the big bang theory over a few week nights! :) hehe I do indeed miss having dark hair! I'm getting there! :) x

Zoë Winters said...

Oh well I hope you enjoy them! :) Good luck! x

Zoë Winters said...

teehee thanks ^..^ They were yummy, if I wasn't feeling so lazy I'd make more and just sit and eat them all :) Oh you should just go for it and cut bangs! Summer means your hair grows faster doesn't it!? So if you hated it you could just grow it out swift! :) x

Zoë Winters said...

Thank you! :)

Zoë Winters said...

Oh I hope she likes it! :) Thanks, I think that of you and your blog too!! :D xxx

Unknown said...

You are a talented seamstress my lovely! x

Inma Orduna said...

I like your pics and you outfit!!!!
Thanks for your comment ;-)

Maria- CityLaundry said...

ah! so happy i found your blog! you are so lovely and awesome!
the last photo is so funny! haha
i'll be sure to try out that recipe sometime!
xx.

www.citylaundry.blogspot.com

Butch said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! The cakes look delish as does your outfit.


Jade



http://91peachykeenblogspot.com

Ashlyn said...

If you could send some of those cupcakes I would definitely be on board! I think I'm going to print the recipe for my mother, who has decided to go from vegetarian to full vegan and I couldn't be prouder of her efforts. Your hair and outfit look so good with the cupcakes and sitting here reading about how wonderful they are before breakfast is making MY tummy rumble.
Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you come back :).
Ashlyn
Triple Thread

Unknown said...

Amazing blog darling!

Love you!

Debi said...

YAY! Super happy to find you too!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa said...

How gorgeous is your hair?! I love your blog, thank you for finding me!

Catherine, XO.

Miss Maple said...

I have to make the cakes for my daughter who is vegan-vegetrarian. They look as if they taste wonderful. I love your cherry-outfit, too.

Kailey said...

EEE you are LOVELY. I absolutely adore this post - you can tell how much fun you are having in the pictures <33

januarysublime said...

These cakes look so, sooo good! Definitely have to give the recipe a go! :)
You have a really cool blog, we are new followers!
JS xx

http://januarysublime.com

Marisa Noelle said...

Whoa!!! I am most definitely making those cupcakes...before even reading through the recipe the name of them completely sold me...hehe. I just bookmarked this page, as I'm hoping they will be one of my next to bake.

And you...goodness, could you look anymore perfect!! Loving your hair and that incredibly darling cherry inspired outfit. Definitely reminds me of summer....which I wish were here already:) These photos should be in an adorable little baking magazine...just so so pretty!!

mochaccinoland said...

delicious looking cakes!! looking at the ingredient list, they must taste yummilicious!!! love your new hair colour!

xoxo
mochaccinoland.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

You left such a sweet comment on my blog! Thank you so much! I love your blog as well, it's really inspiring.. And your hair is amazing, very pretty. I'm following! :)
xxxx

Sarah

doradadama said...

Amor your killing with those delicious cupcakes!
Gracias for visiting my humble little blog.
I adorar a circus girl especially if she is a red head MaMa.
besios

Ioana-Carmen said...

Nice post! and you are so pretty! check my blog and follow me if you want!
Ioana

http://www.fashionspot.ro/

lindsi said...

i love your apron! and those cupcakes look so good,chocolate is the best.

AVY said...

Either way it looks cute :)


/Avy
http:// mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com
♥

Natalia L. said...

I think your hair looks beautiful, I wish I had that colour, but after dyeing it black for years is taking a lot of work to change it.

Girls that glitter love the dark
xoxo

Inge said...

I'm definitely making these! They sound delicious!

Zoë Winters said...

That is wonderful! I hope she likes them! :) x

Zoë Winters said...

:) I hope she likes them! x

Zoë Winters said...

:) You are the best! :) x

Zoë Winters said...

Thanks everyone! :)

Anonymous said...

u r beautiful and so are your pics =)

Ellie, I Like Ginger Biscuits said...

Wow, these look really yummy! Will definitely be trying those at home and probably eating the whole batch.
I love that hair colour on you, looks very pretty! Have a really good day!!
Ellie xx
p.s. I am in love with your outfit!

Unknown said...

These look so delicious! Also, you are such a beauty in gingham and I really love your hair color like this, but you would look amazing with black/dark hair too!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your wee comment! It is nice to hear from strangers and friends! (and strangers who could be friends!) I will do my darn hardest to respond too!